Outdoor Adventure Camps began operation in 1972 as a unique camp venue for schools, cadets and community groups. With increased popularity it was decided in 1975 to commercially develop the site for school camps, beginning one of the best outdoor education and recreation venues available today. Outdoor Adventure Camps now has over 30 years experience in providing camps for schools, cadets, university and church groups, sporting clubs and other organisations.
Outdoor Adventure Camps is a family owned and operated business with a primary focus on providing primary schools, high schools and young adults with outdoor education and adventure programs. Our school camps are conducted in natural bushland settings to provide students with an opportunity to appreciate and connect with Australia’s natural environment.
Outdoor Adventure Camps is situated 60km northwest of Sydney in the beautiful Hawkesbury valley. Located on Webbs Creek, Wisemans Ferry, a tributary of the mighty Hawkesbury River, the 300 acre camp venue provides a refreshing outdoors adventure experience in a natural and pristine bush setting just one hour fifteen from Sydney CBD. The surrounding Yengo and Parr National Parks provide extensive opportunity to interact with the environment and Webbs Creek offers an ideal setting for water based activities.
School Camp Activities
All our school camp activities are in a natural setting. We can develop an outdoor education program for students Years 3-12 from a range of adventure activities including:
- High ropes challenge among the treetops
- Abseiling from natural rock faces
- Indoor rock climbing wall
- Canoeing basics
- Pack and paddle canoe program with on water challenges
- Canoe volleyball or canoe polo with emphasis on teamwork and strategic thinking
- Orienteering, expedition and team navigation through wilderness valley with training and practice in map to ground skills
- Raft building and raft racing, fostering consultation, co-operation and friendly competition
- Obstacle course
- Flying fox and archery just for fun
- Teambuilding games and initiatives with strong emphasis on problem solving in a team setting
- Bivouac and campfire cooking to develop self reliance, initiative and bushcraft skills
What OAC Can Provide On Your School Camp
At Outdoor Adventure Camps we specialise in school camps from 2 to 5 days duration, fully catered and programmed. Students are housed in cabins that sleep up to 10. For bivouac and travel programs students are accommodated in dome tents. Teachers have separate accommodation. If a residential camp is not practical, we offer a one day program of activities.
Our school camps provide students with:
- A sense of community and belonging
- Respect and care for others
- Self worth and confidence
- Communication and interpersonal skills
- Physical and recreational skills
- A sense of achievement and
- An appreciation of the Australian bush, its flora, fauna and waterways
Risk Assessment And Management
At OAC the safety and wellbeing of students in our care is of paramount importance. We can provide your school with Risk Assessment and Management documentation in DET format.
Sequential Programming For School Camps
There are three core levels of outdoor education that we service:
- Junior School for primary school years 3 to 6
- Middle School for high school years 7 to 9
- Senior School for high school years 10 to 12
Programs are designed within each of these levels to provide age related activities and increasing challenges as students progress through the years.
At Outdoor Adventure Camps we provide quality outdoor programs for:
- High school year camps
- Primary school camps with HSIE emphasis
- PDHPE and Sports Science camps
- Prefect and senior school leadership camps
- Duke of Edinburgh Expedition component for Bronze, Silver & Gold
Guides And Instructors
Our camp guides and instructors are of the highest caliber, generally TAFE or University qualified in outdoor recreation or industry equivalent with extensive experience in working with school students in a residential camp setting. All staff have Working with Children clearance through the NSW Department of Sport & Recreation.
Catering For School Camps
Our meals are prepared fresh on site with a daily supply of fresh fruit and cold drinks available on all school camps. Our spaghetti bolognese with garlic bread and fresh garden salads will transport you to Italy. Mouth-watering chicken drumsticks on a bed of fluffy rice with corn on the cob. And lunchtime hamburgers with butcher fresh meat and vegetable patties, tomato, beetroot, pineapple and lettuce on fresh buns. They’ll never want that other take-away again.Sample menus available on request.
We also offer weekend site hire and catered camps for university and church groups, sporting clubs and other organisations.
Army and Air Force Cadet Units will find our location ideal for bush based training camps. Neighbouring Yengo and Parr National Parks provide ideal terrain for NavEx, RATEL, bivouacs and exercises in first aid, hazmat procedures and map to ground skills.
Onsite, we have 300 acres on which to conduct your own program or we can offer fully instructed activities including canoeing, rock climbing, abseiling, high and low ropes, flying fox, archery, raft building and teambuilding initiatives.
Outdoor Adventure Camps - Our Aims
Our school camps provide an ideal vehicle for students to establish and develop a strong sense of identity and community. We offer students a challenging and rewarding outdoor experience in a safe and nurturing natural environment with the opportunity to achieve their personal best. Our programs are designed with an emphasis on ‘achievement’ as a quality learning outcome.
We offer a range of options from basic site hire to fully catered camps with a comprehensive program of outdoor activities tailored to your individual requirements and objectives.